The Museum – supporting Strathalbyn’s community
Strathalbyn has long been a fantastic destination for motoring groups.
Its centrally located between Adelaide, Victor Harbor, Murray Bridge and “The Bend” at Tailem Bend. It is a popular weekend venue for motoring groups.
Since Strathalbyn is an established motoring destination the Strathalbyn Tourism Association decided to explore the concept of a motoring museum dedicated to showcasing the motoring history of the area. We identified Gilbert Motors’ building as suitable and have working with the Gilbert family to bring the museum concept to reality.
The Historical Aspect
- The Gilbert family’s contribution to the Strathalbyn area and their role in motoring
- The history of the actual museum site including the Cobb & Co link
- The manufacturing of the Treblig bicycles and motorcycles in Strathalbyn
- Historic motoring/dealership sites throughout Strathalbyn
- Kenny Blake and other motor sports people from this area
The Overall Goal
- Displays of veteran, vintage, classic, and custom cars, heavy vehicles and motorcycles
- Display of motor sports vehicles and memorabilia
- Permanent, semi-permanent and short-term interactive displays
- Displays of motoring related items including engines, parts, posters and photographs
- Display of machinery associated with the repair and maintenance of vehicles
- A small library of motoring books and magazines
- An audio-visual area for the screening of motoring films